Brooklyn Domestic Violence Lawyer
Domestic Violence Laws in New York State
Have you been accused of domestic violence? As a Brooklyn domestic violence attorney at The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C., I can help you fight such charges. With over 15 years of legal and trial experience in the field of criminal defense, I have perfected aggressive defensive strategies that can help you share your side of the story and stand up for your rights. I will do everything I can to reduce the charges and penalties against you as much as possible to protect you now and into the future.
If domestic violence has been committed or is suspected, the case can quickly escalate and get much worse than most people expect. Cases that deal with parental custody and divorces also present substantial challenges for the defendants. Reach out to me now to find out what I can do for you.
What is Domestic Violence?
In the state of New York, the term “domestic violence” doesn’t represent a specific crime carrying sentencing guidelines on its own. Instead, domestic violence (sometimes called “DV”) is more of an umbrella term that may include assault, sexual assault, stalking, or other charges involving violence and/or abuse among those in a “domestic relationship.”
Domestic violence applies to crimes that occur between members of the same family or household, including people who are (or have been):
- Legally married
- Parents of the same child
- In an intimate relationship, even if not living together
What are the Penalties for Domestic Violence in New York?
Domestic violence charges are serious offenses in New York State that can come with heavy penalties such as large fines, lengthy prison sentences and even restraining orders.. It is therefore imperative to secure the legal representation of a knowledgeable Brooklyn domestic violence defense attorney who will fight to protect your rights as soon as possible.
Defenses Against a Domestic Violence Charge
When you come to my firm, we will discuss the specifics of your case in detail to come up with the defense that works best for you and your situation.
Below are examples of some common defensive strategies against a domestic violence charge. These defenses are far from exhaustive but can help you understand how I will fight for you:
- Lack of Proof: If there’s no concrete proof tying you to the crime there isn’t much the prosecution can do. This is because defendants cannot be convicted of crimes if the prosecution is unable to reach the required “burden of proof” (or evidence) in a DV case. I have dealt with more than enough cases to understand how to uncover holes in the prosecutor’s argument and argue there isn’t enough evidence tying you to the crime in question.
- Intentional False Accusation: There are many reasons a defendant such as yourself may be falsely accused. Perhaps it was a simple misunderstanding, a case of mistaken identity, or to fulfill some personal vendetta. While I always take DV accusations seriously, I understand that this is a contentious subject and that there are multiple sides to every story. If you believe you have been falsely accused due to custody, alimony, another relationship issue, or otherwise, I will do whatever it takes to help you prove as much.
- Self-Defense: I may be able to prove your actions were done out of self-protection if you were in fear of your safety and were forced to fight back.
- Wrong Suspect: Occasionally, people are wrongfully accused of crimes due to a simple case of mistaken identity. If you can demonstrate that you aren’t the person who has committed the offense, your charges may be dropped. Proving as much will likely require an alibi which may include witness testimony and procuring other evidence that you were not in the vicinity of the crime when it occurred.
Let Me Handle Your Domestic Violence Charge
The severity of a domestic violence charge should not be taken lightly. During your free consultation with me, we will discuss the facts of your case, what evidence the prosecution may have against you, and how to best fight it. No matter how innocent or guilty you may feel, everyone deserves the right to have their side of the story heard. I will ensure your needs and desired outcome are taken to account when I argue on your behalf and will work closely with you to ensure I am working within your budget and comfort zone.
Call (718) 550-6773 24/7 to discuss your case during a free legal consultation.
“Tony is very smart and knowledgeable about the justice system. He is always available. Thank you for your talent and professionalism!”- Xenia S.
“Tony Mirvis is always there for you when you need it. He has been the best voice of reason during my most difficult time.”- Avvo User
“You don't meet HONEST lawyers every day. Tony Mirvis was honest with me from day one.”- Tatiana H.
With each individual case that I handle, integrity is the top priority. I stand by my work and my reputation. Some lawyers give other lawyers a bad reputation, but that is not what my clients find when they hire me.
I understand how important it is to make myself available to my clients 24/7. My clients have direct access to me and I respond quickly to them (usually within an hour).
My results speak for themselves. My main goal is to provide quality representation for even the most challenging cases and walk away victorious each time. Each client that has had me standing by their side in the courtroom has been able to experience quality results and make positive changes in their life.