Brooklyn Drug Charges Lawyer
Protecting the Rights of Those Accused of Drug Crimes in New York
At The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C., attorney Tony Mirvis understands how to evaluate drug charges from all angles to pursue the defense that works best for my firm’s clients. As a Brooklyn drug charges attorney, I know how to collect and present evidence and craft a strong defense that will work in your favor, even if the matter needs to be taken to court. I am a trial-tested and aggressive litigator, but when it comes to how I treat my clients I always give them the respect, compassion, and assistance they deserve.
New York Drug Schedules
Drug crimes vary tremendously based on the alleged crime and other factors, such as the type of drug. Drugs are categorized into five groups or “schedules” with Schedule I drugs being the most potentially dangerous and addictive (such as heroin) and Schedule V being the least addictive (like Robitussin).
I represent clients who have been accused of crimes relating to all drug schedules, including:
- Crack and crack cocaine
- Crystal meth
- Date rape drugs
- Prescription drugs (Xanax, Adderall, illegal prescription drugs, etc.)
Next is the type of drug crime, which can range from minor to serious. Drugs crimes that are considered misdemeanors are more minor than those deemed felonies, which come with more serious penalties. Felony drug crimes can follow you for the remainder of your life and can result in a criminal record, for instance.
Types of Drug Crimes in New York
The most common types of drug crimes committed in New York include:
- Possession: Simply having drugs on your person can cause you to be charged with possession. Penalties for possession vary based on what kind of drug you have, what your intention was (to use, sell, etc.), and how much of it you have.
- Trafficking: The transportation of a large number of drugs, often across great distances and with the intent of selling.
- Sales: Selling or “dealing” drugs is a similar crime to trafficking, but usually involves a smaller number of drugs for sale on a more local level.
- Manufacturing: Participating in any step of an illegal drug’s production process.
Drug charges may include other types of crimes—smuggling, intent to buy, cultivating marijuana, etc.—or even the combination of more than one of the above (such as “possession with the intent to sell” and similar charges).
What are the Penalties for Drug Crimes?
A drug crime charge in New York can come with severe penalties, including both heavy fines and extensive jail time. Yet, drug charges depend on many factors, including the type of crime committed, what drug was involved and how much of it, the alleged perpetrator’s circumstances, age, and criminal record, and more.
Penalties for drug crimes can range from a $250 fine or a couple of weeks in jail to 20 years of imprisonment and/or a $10,000 fine. New York also enhances penalties for those with prior convictions. I will use defenses such as the above to fight for the lowest possible sentence in an effort to reduce or avoid jail time and fines as much as possible. Depending on the facts of your case, I may even be able to get the charges dropped entirely.
Possible Defenses for Drug Charges
Every case and client is different. This may be your first offense and you’re feeling remorseful and terrified; alternatively, maybe you’ve been arrested before and you’re kicking yourself for letting this happen again. Regardless of the circumstances, you are considered innocent under the law until the prosecution can prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. My job is to prevent you from being found guilty, or, in the event that isn’t an option, to ensure you receive the lightest possible sentence and all the legal help you need to get through this tough time.
There are many defensive strategies I can take depending on the facts of your case. Defenses to drug possession charges can include:
- Infancy: The defendant was under 16 years of age when the alleged crime was committed. This means you cannot be tried as an adult and therefore the penalties should be lower.
- Insufficient quantity: If you have been charged with selling drugs, but you only had a small amount on you at the time of your arrest, I may be able to get your charge reduced to one of possession since you didn’t have enough on you to be accused of making sales.
- Lack of knowledge: If the defendant (you) did not know they were carrying illegal drugs, I can argue that the intent was not to use to or sell and potentially have the charges reduced.
- Prescription medicine: I may be able to argue that your medicine was prescribed lawfully depending on the circumstances.
Fight Your Drug Charge with an Experienced Advocate at Your Side
Drug charges are some of the most difficult and challenging cases to handle in the courtroom, primarily because drug laws are widely known for having the strictest and most severe consequences. In addition, you can be charged either in Local or Federal court, which makes this process even more complicated as a result.
A qualified attorney is a required necessity in these cases because he or she will be able to approach the courtroom to work hard towards obtaining the best possible solution on behalf of the client. Learn more about how I can help you fight your drug charges by getting in touch right away for your free consultation.
“Tony is very smart and knowledgeable about the justice system. He is always available. Thank you for your talent and professionalism!”- Xenia S.
“Tony Mirvis is always there for you when you need it. He has been the best voice of reason during my most difficult time.”- Avvo User
“You don't meet HONEST lawyers every day. Tony Mirvis was honest with me from day one.”- Tatiana H.
With each individual case that I handle, integrity is the top priority. I stand by my work and my reputation. Some lawyers give other lawyers a bad reputation, but that is not what my clients find when they hire me.
I understand how important it is to make myself available to my clients 24/7. My clients have direct access to me and I respond quickly to them (usually within an hour).
My results speak for themselves. My main goal is to provide quality representation for even the most challenging cases and walk away victorious each time. Each client that has had me standing by their side in the courtroom has been able to experience quality results and make positive changes in their life.