Brooklyn Kidnapping Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against Kidnapping Charges in New York
If you or a loved one are facing kidnapping charges in Brooklyn, you need an experienced legal advocate to protect your rights and defend your case. The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C. is here to give you the aggressive representation you need. We are committed to fighting for your freedom.
Call The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C. today at (718) 550-6773 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our kidnapping attorney in Brooklyn.
What is Kidnapping?
Kidnapping is a serious criminal offense in New York and the United States. It involves the unlawful abduction or restraint of another person against their will, often involving threats, force, or deception. Kidnapping can take many forms, from parental abduction cases to situations involving ransom demands, but all share the common element of depriving an individual of their liberty.
New York law recognizes two types of kidnapping, each with varying severity and corresponding penalties. The charges you face will depend on the circumstances of the alleged kidnapping and the harm inflicted on the victim.
What are the Penalties for Kidnapping in New York?
- First-Degree Kidnapping: This is the most serious kidnapping offense and is charged when certain aggravating factors are present, such as using a dangerous weapon or intending to collect ransom. First-degree kidnapping is a Class A-I felony and can result in a lengthy prison sentence of up to 25 years to life.
- Second-Degree Kidnapping: Second-degree kidnapping is a Class B felony. It is charged when the victim is exposed to a risk of physical injury, is under 16 years old, or when the kidnapping is committed with the intent to facilitate another crime. A conviction can result in 25 years in prison.
Defenses Against Kidnapping Charges
Some potential defenses against kidnapping charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: Your defense attorney may argue that you did not have the intent to kidnap the alleged victim. Proving that you had no criminal intent can be a strong defense.
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, eyewitnesses may misidentify the alleged kidnapper. Your attorney can work to establish that you were not the person responsible.
- Consent: If the alleged victim willingly accompanied you or consented to be moved, it may be a valid defense against kidnapping charges.
- Alibi: If you have a credible alibi that places you elsewhere at the time of the alleged kidnapping, this can be used to challenge the prosecution's case.
- Coercion or Duress: If you were forced or threatened by another party to commit the kidnapping, it may be possible to argue that you acted under duress.
Contact Our Kidnapping Attorney in Brooklyn Today
Facing kidnapping charges can be an incredibly stressful and life-altering experience. It's essential to have a dedicated legal team to help you navigate the complexities of the legal system and advocate for your rights. At The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C., we have the experience and commitment to provide you with the best possible defense. Your freedom is our priority, and we will fight tirelessly to protect it.
Contact The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C. today to get started with our Brooklyn kidnapping lawyer.
“Tony is very smart and knowledgeable about the justice system. He is always available. Thank you for your talent and professionalism!”- Xenia S.
“Tony Mirvis is always there for you when you need it. He has been the best voice of reason during my most difficult time.”- Avvo User
“You don't meet HONEST lawyers every day. Tony Mirvis was honest with me from day one.”- Tatiana H.
With each individual case that I handle, integrity is the top priority. I stand by my work and my reputation. Some lawyers give other lawyers a bad reputation, but that is not what my clients find when they hire me.
I understand how important it is to make myself available to my clients 24/7. My clients have direct access to me and I respond quickly to them (usually within an hour).
My results speak for themselves. My main goal is to provide quality representation for even the most challenging cases and walk away victorious each time. Each client that has had me standing by their side in the courtroom has been able to experience quality results and make positive changes in their life.