Brooklyn Money Laundering Attorney
Fighting Against Money Laundering Charges in New York
When it comes to financial crimes, money laundering stands out as one of the most complex and heavily penalized offenses in the state of New York. At The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C., we understand the seriousness of these charges and the life-altering consequences they can bring. If you are facing accusations, it is crucial to have an experienced money laundering attorney from our firm on your side to protect your rights and build a strong defense.
Call The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C. today at (718) 550-6773 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our money laundering lawyer in Brooklyn.
What is Money Laundering?
Money laundering is a criminal offense that involves the process of concealing the origins of illegally obtained money, typically by transferring it through a complex sequence of banking transfers or commercial transactions. In essence, money laundering makes "dirty" money appear "clean" by giving it the appearance of legitimate funds.
This financial crime is often associated with more substantial criminal activities, such as drug trafficking, organized crime, tax evasion, or fraud. Money launderers use various methods to obfuscate the source of their funds, making it challenging for law enforcement to trace the money back to its illegal origins.
What are the Penalties for Money Laundering in New York?
The penalties for money laundering in New York can be harsh and life-altering. The specific consequences you may face depend on the circumstances of your case and the amount of money involved. In general, money laundering charges can result in both criminal and civil penalties. Here's a breakdown of the potential consequences:
- Criminal Penalties: If convicted of money laundering, you may face imprisonment, fines, and probation. The severity of these penalties may vary depending on the degree of money laundering involved.
- Money Laundering in the First Degree: This is a class B felony, and a conviction can result in up to 25 years in prison.
- Money Laundering in the Second Degree: This is a class C felony with a potential prison sentence of up to 15 years.
- Money Laundering in the Third Degree: This is a class D felony with a potential prison sentence of up to seven years.
Defenses Against Money Laundering Charges
Some common defenses against money laundering charges may include:
- Lack of Knowledge: Proving that you were unaware of the illegal origin of the money involved can be a robust defense. If you can demonstrate that you were a victim of deception or had no knowledge of the illicit nature of the funds, it can help your case.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the prosecution's evidence and pointing out any weaknesses in their case can lead to a reduction in charges or a case dismissal. We can thoroughly investigate the evidence against you to identify inconsistencies or issues.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If your rights were violated during the investigation or if the evidence was obtained illegally, we can file motions to suppress that evidence, weakening the prosecution's case.
- Procedural Errors: Money laundering cases often involve complex financial transactions. Any procedural errors in the investigation, evidence handling, or the charging process can be used in your defense.
- Negotiating a Plea Deal: In some cases, it may be in your best interest to negotiate a plea deal for reduced charges or penalties. We can assess the potential benefits and drawbacks of such an agreement.
Contact Our Money Laundering Lawyer in Brooklyn Today
At The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C., we are dedicated to providing aggressive and strategic legal representation to protect your rights and fight for the best possible outcome in your case. Our Brooklyn money laundering attorney will evaluate the details of your case and work with you to develop a tailored defense strategy. We aim to help you navigate the legal system, protect your rights, and seek the best resolution for your money laundering charges. Let us be your advocate in this challenging time.
Contact The Mirvis Law Firm, P.C. today to get started with our Brooklyn money laundering attorney.
“Tony is very smart and knowledgeable about the justice system. He is always available. Thank you for your talent and professionalism!”- Xenia S.
“Tony Mirvis is always there for you when you need it. He has been the best voice of reason during my most difficult time.”- Avvo User
“You don't meet HONEST lawyers every day. Tony Mirvis was honest with me from day one.”- Tatiana H.
With each individual case that I handle, integrity is the top priority. I stand by my work and my reputation. Some lawyers give other lawyers a bad reputation, but that is not what my clients find when they hire me.
I understand how important it is to make myself available to my clients 24/7. My clients have direct access to me and I respond quickly to them (usually within an hour).
My results speak for themselves. My main goal is to provide quality representation for even the most challenging cases and walk away victorious each time. Each client that has had me standing by their side in the courtroom has been able to experience quality results and make positive changes in their life.